Friday, February 7

My First Post!

Hello all! Why not start this off right with a post about all the wonderful little things I do that make me want to put myself in timeout. A little self-deprecation never hurt anyone!

I could probably write a book about the things I do that are annoying, but it would be super long and probably poorly written, and I'm way too lazy to write it! And with that, I've revealed my first annoyance: I can be truly, maddeningly lazy. It's not so much an issue of making myself wash the dishes or floss every night (the internal battle: to floss or not to floss and most likely wind up with a set of very attractive dentures). It's more of a not-wanting-to-sit-up-from-my-horizontal-position-and-reach-for-the-computer-plug-that-is-at-the-bottom-of-the-bed type of laziness. It's amazing how much you can compromise with yourself when you're at your supreme laziest: "Eh...I'll shower when I get home from work. Besides, my greasy unwashed hair probably looks really cute and professional in this messy bun (Spoiler: it doesn't. It never does)." Just shower, you lazy turd! Or how about "I really want to walk across the street for a sandwich, but I already took my bra off for the evening. I guess I'll eat this can of re-fried beans. I'm sure that will be just as satisfying." Just put your bra back on and walk across the street, you lazy animal! In my defense, I believe that the cold winter months make us all a bit slower and lazy. I guess I'll have to think up another excuse when the weather gets better...

Another major component of myself that actively works against me is my (sometimes) inability to let things go. I once read something by the author David Foster Wallace that really rang true: Everything I’ve ever let go of has claw marks on it." This can be applied to people, places, things, and even the last bite of pizza because there is nothing more depressing than taking your last bite of pizza, am I right? I think most people would agree with me when I say that letting go of anything that once meant a great deal to you can be extremely difficult. For myself, my inability to let go and allow change to take place was because of my insistence on understanding and coming to terms with all aspects of the given situation. It took me a long time to accept the fact the not everything we do and say is going to make sense. I slowly learned that our lives aren't supposed to be neatly sectioned off according to time and place and stored away in a labeled box. Trust me, I've definitely tried to do this! And this is something I still actively struggle with. But what I must always remind myself of is the waste of time and energy it. It's only when I finally release the reigns that I am able to actually gain a new perspective on things and move past it. And once I realize this, I am usually able to put the empty pizza box down and stop hysterically crying over the fact that there is no more pizza. We're still talking about pizza, right?

So with that, I banish these regressive traits of mine and evolve into a more thoughtful, well-rounded woman.

Just kidding! I'm already thinking about the fact that I have to do laundry when I get home and I really would just rather not. My excuse for the day: it's Friday, relax a little! And so the battle rages on...


1 comment:

  1. This one had me lol'ing :) PS. I think your greasy, unwashed hair is bootiful!

    ReplyDelete